Every Thursday night at 20:30, Wolves (fb) hosts the Howl sessions, where promising Joburg bands can set new material loose on a crowd of coffee-sipping hedonists and celebrities (such as the star from the film Jozi). On this fuzzy photo, the band Shortstraw can be seen working the xylophone. The café is run by a creative couple who bake really good cakes and sell CDs (download their excellent mix tape here), expensive magazines, fudge and sandwiches. Find Wolves in Illovo, the murky transit zone between Rosebank, Sandton and Melrose Arch.
- @AfricaAnalyst Several Limpopo/Mpumalanga towns have Dutch city names (Utrecht, Amsterdam...), probably named by immigrants missing home! 2 years ago
- Our favourite city guide @JohannesburgIYP has been given control over the global @inyourpocket twitter account this week - please follow! 2 years ago
- @spillly Last night in Joburg, drop by Liberation Cafe, Melville, from 8pm if you can. Otherwise see you in Berlin some time? 3 years ago
- In Limpopo I liked the forests and gorges around Haenertsburg. Very impressed by the wild parts of the Waterberg. 3 years ago
- The Rough Guide trip continues - good experiences in NorthWest's Groot Marico, where I discovered Herman Charles Bosman's excellent books. 3 years ago
Flickr In Joburg